Thursday, October 3, 2019

The Start of my Co-Req series. 1 of 6



Howdy, long time no blog.  For a number of reason, mainly professional.  Anyway, based on some questions and suggestions from math friends around the country (most notably Kate Owens, @katemath) I have written up a series of blog posts detailing how we took our entire department across four campuses into a co-req model for mathematics developmental education.  I have shared it here across five posts, mainly because as I started writing, it kept growing!  As always, if you have questions, comments, etc, let me know.
Twitter: @robebymathdude
Or

I normally don’t like putting these things up, as it should be clear (in my mind) that a personal blog is, well, personal.  BUT, since I am talking about my college and the entire department, I have a disclaimer below.  If you are interested in our numbers, or details about the administrative side of how or why we did things, contact me and I can put you in touch with the right people here at Blinn who can discuss things further with you.


Disclaimer: Please note this is a personal blog, and for this discussion about co-req sutff is mostly anecdotal about my experience.  Any data cited is only from my particular classes, none of which was from a controlled study or an official college source.  Also in all of this, I will freely admit that this has been a learning curve for me also.  I think I am doing better now compared to when we first started, but what data I can gather is mixed.  (The Institutional Research part of Blinn is very weak, so getting any useful data is difficult at best.)    

No comments:

Post a Comment