Thursday, November 1, 2018

Excel Projects in Calculus part 5

If you need background, see my first post:
First Excel in Calculus post.
** If you want the Word and Excel copies, @me (@robebymathdude) on Twitter **


The last of my Excel projects in Calculus posts.  I did five mainly because I also have the students do memos (see  ) and there are only so many weeks in the semester.  I made it a point when laying out the schedule to not have a memo or project due during an exam week, so that is one reason for having five.  The other is the grading load!

Anyway, in this project I wanted the students to explore Riemann Sums but in a way that involved more than just calculating the sums.  (If you didn’t know, sites like Wolframalpha will do a Riemann sum with ease.  See for example: Example Sum

I also wanted the students to try and go back to a function, so I had them do sums for 1/x, and then see that the basic log rules worked.  I had a few students who figured this out, but the majority just kinda shrugged on their answers.  I am going to have to think about how to get students to this point in a better / different way for next time.
Thanks for reading.







No comments:

Post a Comment